Time of Day Routing is a feature that allows you to automatically change the forwarding destination for a specific inbound number based on the time of day and day of the week. This feature is part of the Enhanced Inbound add-on and Hosted Voice upgrade in turboDial.
When you modify an Inbound Number in the “Inbound&SMS” section of turboDial the first configuration screen looks similar to this:
On that screen you will find the “Enable Time of Day Routing?” option. When that option is selected the configuration for Time of Day Routing will appear in the next screen when you click the “Update & Next” button.
Once you click “Update & Next” the next configuration screen will look similar to this:
The Time of Day Routing feature uses these concepts:
- In-Hours: The single contiguous interval of time during a day when your calls will be forwarded to the In-Hours number. You will often set this interval to the same as your company’s business hours.
- Out-of-Hours: The times during a day when your calls will be forwarded to the Out-of-Hours number. The Out-of-Hours interval for a day will include two segments of time: 1) the hours before the In-Hours interval begins, and 2) the hours after the In-Hours interval ends.
Some days of the week may have no In-Hours intervals, and all hours on those days will be Out-of-Hours.
Follow these steps to configure the Time of Day Routing feature on your number:
- Take note of your Timezone City. All time selections will be relative to that timezone.
- Choose the hour of the day when when your In-Hours interval begins. You are not able to choose minutes before or after an hour. The In-Hours interval will begin exactly at the top of the hour.
- Choose the hour of the day when your In-Hours interval ends. The In-Hours interval will end exactly at the top of the hour. The In-Hours interval must end at a time later than it begins.
- Choose the days of the week when you have In-Hours time. For example, if your company is open Monday through Friday then check the boxes next to those five days and leave Saturday and Sunday unchecked.
- Enter a phone number as the destination for inbound calls during the In-Hours interval of a day.
- Enter a phone number as the destination for inbound calls during the Out-of-Hours intervals of a day and also for days with no In-Hours intervals.
Once you have your Time of Day Routing setup as desired, click the “Update” Button to save the settings. When the update succeeds you can click the “close” button.