Sending a Campaign SMS
With the “Campaign SMS” feature you can configure any Infusionsoft campaign to send an SMS text message to your contact using turboDial. You will use the HTTP POST process in a campaign sequence and set up the HTTP POST according to the instructions provided.
The HTTP POST configuration looks like this:
You should visit your turboDial management account for full instructions, and you will be able to copy & paste many of the values directly into your HTTP POST.
ALWAYS USE COPY & PASTE TO FILL IN THE HTTP POST FIELDS!
Otherwise it is too easy for a small mistake to cause a failure.
Use this address in the POST URL field:
Explaining Each Name/Value Pair
Note that every Name is in lower case, except for contactId and userId which have a capital ‘I’ and callName which has a capital ‘N’
- The contactId is the ID number Infusionsoft assigns to each contact. It is a non-zero number. You will always use a merge field for this, as shown above.
- The key is the encrypted string turboDial assigns to you. Your key is provided in the field above and you can copy it to your clipboard. Be sure to capture the entire string when you copy it.
- The userId is the ID number Infusionsoft assigns to each User who can login to your Infusionsoft account. It is a non-zero number. The userId is used by turboDial to assign proper ownership of the Note record that is added to the Contact when the SMS is sent. In many cases you can use a merge field to insert the userId, as shown above.
- The to value is the phone number where the SMS text message is to be sent. You will use a merge field for this as shown above.
- The country is the Country in the Contact’s Billing Address, and is used by turboDial to properly format the phone number. If the country field is not filled in and if the to phone number is not in International dialing format, then turboDial will configure the number using the Country of the turboDial account owner. You will use a merge field for this as shown above.
- The from value is a SMS-enabled phone number that you have acquired in the “Inbound & SMS” section of your turboDial account, including the +country-code. For example: +12135551212
- The reply value is the email address of the User to whom replies to this SMS should be forwarded via email. You may want to use a merge field for this such as ~Owner.Email~ to specify the email address of the owner of the Contact Record.
- The message value is the text body of your SMS text message. It can be up to 1000 characters long but you should restrict it to 140. You can use merge fields in the message, as shown in the partial example above. We recommend you do not include web URL links in your message; use the link value instead.
You can insert a line feed into your message by including the two characters: \n
at the desired place in your message. Note the first character is the ‘back-slash’ which is found on the far right side of your keyboard. Do not confuse it with the forward slash. The second character is the lower-case n.
- The link value (optional) is a web URL that will be added at the end of your message text. Your URL must begin with http:// or https:// . If the URL is longer than 22 characters then it will be shortened with a shortening service so that it uses only 22 characters, however clicking it it will still arrive at the web page specified by your URL.
- The callName value (optional) is an Infusionsoft Campaign Builder API Goal “Call Name” value. If you have provided a link value then you can specify a Campaign Builder API Goal that will be triggered when the link is clicked by the contact who receives the text message. The API Goal in your Infusionsoft Campaign must have an “Integration” value of ‘LinkClick‘. The callName value can only include letters and digits, and it cannot have spaces or punctuation.
- The localPresence value (optional) can be set to on to indicate you want the Local Presence feature enabled for this SMS. Otherwise it is off by default.
Important: Be Notified of Failures
If your Campaign SMS HTTP POST has something invalid in the configuration then the SMS will not be sent. You should create the API Goal in an Infusionsoft campaign that will be triggered if your Campaign SMS fails. You can use that goal to notify you about the failure, for example by applying a tag that causes the contact to appear in a Saved Search report you are monitoring on your Infusionsoft dashboard.
The API Goals for SMS failures can be found in the “Outbound Send Failure” section on the Automation Triggered when Sending and Receiving SMS text messages page.